So I know I’ve been slacking. But today, on the day of great thanks and hope and shopping and food, I’m catching up. Quite a few of my friends have been doing that whole “post a status each day saying what you’re thankful for” each day up to Thanksgiving. And while it is now the day after Thanksgiving, I would like to (sort of?) join the band wagon!
So instead of doing the whole status thing, I’ve decided to combine it all into one wonderful blog post. Because even when things suck a little, there are still things to be thankful for!
Things I’m currently thankful for in no particular order:
- I am thankful for my job. Yes I get frustrated, yes I am tired. But it puts a roof over my head, food in my belly, and I get to do something every day that makes a difference in the lives of young people.
- I am thankful for my students. The kids who work for/with me add so much to my life. And have really brought me out of my shell over the last year and a half. I’ve got more swagger now than I ever thought I would.
- I am thankful for the internet. It makes it significantly easier for people like me, who stink at keeping in touch, to do so.
- I am thankful for my roommates. They’re two of my closest friends. They understand my crazy. They keep me from being lonely. They eat all my baked goods.
- I am thankful for food. While it keeps me alive, and depending on the day is one of my biggest enemies, it is also one of my favorite ways to share my love with the people I care about.
- I am thankful for my father. Now for anyone who knows, I don’t have a relationship with him. But this fact has taught me to appreciate the good men in my life – because it’s so easy to be a crap one.
- I am thankful for my step-father. When he first entered our family, I was skeptical. He’s quiet. And I didn’t get it. (Really, I was 15. What COULD I have understood at that age?) But he loves my mom. And he loves my sister. And he loves me. And he would do anything for all of us.
- I am thankful for my ability to choose. I can choose anything I want in any area of my life. And that ability is a huge privilege.
- I am thankful for my youth. While each day it slips away just a little, I am enjoying it while it’s here!
- I am thankful for my health. With my weight loss, I’ve finally learned how valuable our bodies are. They are capable of so much we can’t take for granted.
- I am thankful for all the people I work with. They’re my “urban family” and are quite the supportive bunch!
- I am thankful for the University of Florida. It made my college experience what it was, made me who I am, and continues to give back to me daily.
- I am thankful for puppies, caffeine, and cute boys. They all make me smile, make days easier bring general joy to my life on bad days.
- And lastly, I’m thankful for all you other people out there in blog land in the same boat as I am. Life may be frustrating, but we’re all rowing this boat together!
Love you all!