I know what you’re thinking. “Wait. Isn’t it winter now?” And the answer is yes. But I started this post back in October, and somehow managed to not get around to posting it until now. I was avoiding editing pictures – lezbereal.
Well, the magic weather was short-lived around here. Today it was back to the normal, sweltering Florida heat. However, I did not waste last night. Since we only get 3-months of not-deathly-humid-and-hot each year (aka the other “seasons”), I decided to jump on it!
So I decided to make my first pumpkin recipe of the year. The winner? Pumpkin Bread! Mostly because I had all the ingredients already, and partly because I love it.
In my recipe hunt, I came across several that looked amazing. Canella Vita was my winner, with an added struessel topping from Hungry Couple. And as usual, I slightly edited the recipes. But my edits this time were specifically due to availability of ingredients in my pantry. So use them as is! (written below)
Pumpkin Bread from Cannella Vita
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 7×3 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Crumb Layer from Hungry Couple:
1/2 Cup sugar
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1 Stick unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
Dash of salt
To make the crumb topping, combine the sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Stir in the melted butter and then the flour. Mix well and set aside.